What is Emotional Intelligence?
To me, our emotional intelligence is the degree to with which we can naturally understand and manage our emotions and those of others around us. This helps us to communicate effectively and enhances the ability to help, manipulate or direct others in a way that feels OK for them and easy for you. It also enables the emotionally intelligent person to not take things too personally when confronted with a person who does not have these skills.
One way to understand what emotional intelligence is not is to observe individuals with autism where they may use inappropriate words, gestures or eye contact that make others feel awkward or uncomfortable.
Can we learn emotional intelligence?
I believe it is possible to increase your levels of emotional intelligence although it may never be possible to match those who are just naturally gifted in the department. There are so many factors that come into play, such as:
- Your upbringing
- Do you have siblings?
- Did you feel anxious as a child so were always gauging peoples moods
- Where you carefree as a child so just trusted people
- What is your personality type
- Are you easy going or do you need to be right?
- Do you have cultural awareness learned through travel or social interaction?
- Do you care what people think?
- Do you treat people the way you want to be treated – or the way they want to be treated?
If you are keen to increase your own levels of emotional intelligence for work or within your relationships give me a call as there is much we can do – 01280 731155